Thursday, April 23, 2015

Corporate or Not

In my interview for an internship at Loaves & Fishes, my soon to be boss, asked me what I see myself doing in five years. Being a young worker in communications, he laughed, knowing the answer to that question is always the hardest for a college student. “I see myself doing a variety of things actually,” I responded – which is true.

Part of me sees myself continuing my work in student affairs/higher education. Another part of me wants to focus on communications and working with social media. Another part just wants to pack up some belongings and head into the Peace Corps.

He rearranged his question. “Do you see yourself working for a corporate business or non-profit?”

“Both,” I told him. He told me that was a smart move.

I explained that yes, I honestly want a stable and substantial income, yet I want to do something I enjoy. 

My biggest interest is working with non-profits, such as Loaves & Fishes. The only downfall is a non-profit is much more volunteer based and the chances of having a steady income is not always available. 

We spun into a conversation about social media in non-profits vs. corporate companies. My experience of working on social media platforms for various North Central College accounts helps me see what my possibilities are, but also makes me realize that there are so many different options for the future.

Working with a non-profit could give me more freedom to create and execute projects that I am interested in. It allows me to help build an organization where social media is a vital tool in reaching donors and partners.

A corporate company works the say way, yet differently. In a corporate company, posts and content may be much more scheduled and sometimes bleak. The chances of having more freedom and openness to work on tasks that you create and find interesting are much slimmer.

I am currently reading Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS. TOMS, my favorite company, was created with a simple idea of giving a pair of shoes to a child in need every time a pair of shoes is purchased. Since its beginning, TOMS has grown into a well-known company with a business model based around giving and helping others. Mycoskie says that he owes some of TOMS’ early success to the growing use of social media and incorporating it into everyday life to spread the word about TOMS.

Nonetheless, communications and social media play a huge role in the success of any company. With the growing need for social media and interest in how to reach new audiences, for a company to have at least one social media account is a no brainer. It’s free. It’s easy to use. It reaches various audiences that would have never been reached otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment