Sunday, April 19, 2015

To Google or Not to Google

To say that Google has been taking over our lives and that we are addicted to it is a bold statement.  Although bold, it seems to be true to some extent. I don’t believe we are completely addicted to it, but it is true that we use and rely on Google a lot in our daily lives.

Don't know the answer to something? Let's face it you’re most likely to Google it. Watching a video? It’s probably on YouTube – the video sharing giant is alive and well thanks to Google. Hey, this blog is even written using Google’s blog service, Blogger. I even just checked my Google Calendar on my iPhone before sitting down to write this blog.

Why does it seem that Google has been taking over our lives? It’s easy to use. It has various platforms that are convenient and highly valued. It’s widespread.

Take the Google Calendar for example. I love my iPhone. What I don’t love? My iPhone’s calendar. I find Google’s Calendar easier to use, easier to read and easier to connect to and sync from various devices. I’d rather sign into my Google account to view my calendar than just pull up the calendar on my MacBook.

GoogleDocs has made sharing information and presentations between class groups and various work projects. I can easily sign onto Google and continue working on it from any device instead of having to keep send it back and forth or save it on a flash drive each time I work on something.


It amazes me how Google has just continued to grow, remaining a reliable and useful tool for anyone and everyone for various reasons and uses. Still, this could change overtime if someone creates something easier and better to use. Will someone create something to overthrow the Google giant? Although a possibility, it doesn’t look like that will happen anytime soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment